Summary of key issues:
- During the past week much of Australia recorded little to no rainfall.
- Parts of Western Australia have recorded day-time temperatures over 30 degrees Celsius this week, with some regions recording day-time temperatures 10 degrees above average for this time of year.
- The Pacific Ocean has shown some renewed signs of El Niño development.
- The rainfall forecast for the next eight days indicates that falls in excess 25 millimetres are likely for much of eastern Australia.
- Water storage levels in the Murray–Darling Basin increased by 167 gigalitres (GL) this week and are at 66 per cent of total capacity.
- The world wheat indicator price (US No. 2 hard red winter, free on board Gulf ports) averaged US$290 a tonne in the week ending 12 August 2014.
- The Australian grain sorghum indicator price (Sydney) was $321 a tonne in the week ending 13 August 2014.
- The Queensland young cattle indictor price (330–400 kg live weight C3) averaged 347 cents a kilogram in the week ending 8 August 2014.
- The saleyard indicator price of lamb (18–22kg fat score 2–4) fell in most states in the week ending 8 August 2014.