Summary of key issues:
- During the past week, a complex low pressure system brought isolated heavy rain, cool temperatures and strong winds to southern regions of Australia.
- June 2014 rainfall was generally average for large parts of eastern Australia.
- The rainfall forecast for the next eight days indicates that rainfall in excess of five millimetres will be restricted to southern, south-west and south-east regions of the country.
- Water storage levels in the Murray–Darling Basin increased this week by 400 gigalitre (GL) and are at 58 per cent of total capacity.
- Opening water allocations for the 2014-15 water trading season have been announced for New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia.
- The world wheat indicator price (US No. 2 hard red winter, free on board Gulf ports) averaged US$318 a tonne in the week ending 1 July 2014.
- The Australian grain sorghum indicator price (Sydney) was $334 a tonne in the week ending 1 July 2014.
- The Queensland young cattle indicator price (330 – 400 kg live weight C3) averaged 322 cents a kilogram in the week ending 27 June 2014.
- Changes in the saleyard indicator price of lamb (18–22kg fat score 2–4) were mixed across the states in the week ending 27 June 2014.