Debit card security
Rural Bank regularly monitors and reviews our systems and procedures and introduces new security measures.
At Rural Bank the security of your account and your money is important to us. That is why we have introduced chip technology to the Rural Bank debit card.
Widely used around the world, chip technology is now the global standard for debit and credit card security. The chip is embedded on the front of your card above the card number. The chip securely stores your card’s data, making it harder to fraudulently copy your card. The chip does not contain any of your personal information or details.
With chip technology you have an additional layer of security and can continue to use your Rural Bank Visa debit card in Australia and around the world.
Rural Bank Visa debit cards now feature contactless technology with Visa® payWave. The fast and secure way to pay, contactless technology allows you to speed through the checkout when using your Rural Bank Visa debit card.
By simply tapping or waving your card, you can complete purchases under $100 without entering your PIN or signing for the transaction.
The transaction is completed within seconds, making it quicker for you to finalise your purchase and be on your way. It's perfect for small purchases like coffee or lunch or when you want to beat the queues.
Widely accepted at thousands of retailers, fast food restaurants, cafés, petrol stations, convenience stores, supermarkets and more, you'll be on your way quicker, with contactless technology.
Find out more about Visa® payWave.
Lost or stolen card
If your card has been lost or stolen please contact Rural Bank immediately on the relevant phone number.
When using your Rural Bank debit card it is essential to protect your PIN at all times. To help protect your PIN we recommend that you:
- Choose a unique PIN that is not easily identified with you (for example, don't use your phone number, postcode or date of birth).
- Do not write your PIN on your card, or keep your PIN in your wallet.
- Do not let anyone else know your PIN.
- Do not let anyone else see your PIN when you enter it into an ATM or EFTPOS terminal.
- Do not reveal your PIN to anyone, even if contacted by someone claiming to be from Rural Bank .
How to protect your Rural Bank Visa debit card
It is equally important to keep your debit card safe. We recommend that you follow these tips:
- Sign your new card as soon as you receive it.
- Only carry the cards you need.
- Avoid placing cards in your pockets, where they can easily fall out.
- Make sure that your cards fit snugly inside your wallet or purse.
- When making purchases, never lose sight of your card to reduce the chance of someone ‘skimming’ your details, i.e. using a device to copy the details from your card.
- Look out for suspicious devices on ATMs or pinpads.
- Watch for people looking over your shoulder while you are using the ATM.
- Keep your receipts and check them against your statements.
- Destroy expired or unwanted cards properly by cutting through the signature and magnetic strip and any chip.
- Report any lost or stolen cards immediately.