Financial difficulty assistance
We understand there may be times when your personal circumstances change. You may experience an unexpected event or changes outside of your control like losing your job, suffering an illness or injury, being affected by a natural disaster, or a downturn in your business.
As a result, if you can’t afford the minimum repayment on your loan or credit card, and would like us to consider if we can provide financial difficulty assistance, please contact us immediately. The sooner you contact us the sooner we can try to help you.
In many instances help can be provided quickly and efficiently over the phone.
Otherwise we may need to do a more detailed assessment of your personal and financial circumstances to identify how we might be able to help.
Financial difficulty assistance is available to you, whether you are an individual, joint account holder, guarantor or small business customer. If you have a joint account and are experiencing financial difficulty, we can assist you individually if you request it.
Other useful resources
If you are experiencing financial hardship, useful resources are available to you. These include:
- The National Debt Helpline have easy to use, step-by-step guides on how to tackle debts - ndh.org.au. You can also call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 to talk to a financial counsellor for free, independent advice about your situation.
- The Small Business Debt Helpline is a free financial counselling service for small business owners in financial difficulty. Visit sbdh.org.au or call 1800 413 828.
- Financial Counselling Australia will help you find a financial counselling agency in your area - www.financialcounsellingaustralia.org.au.
- ASIC’s ‘MoneySmart’ website provides information and tools to help you make the most of your money - www.moneysmart.gov.au
- The ABA’s ‘Financial Hardship’ website can help know what to do if you are experiencing financial difficulties, how your bank can help, where to go for more information and how to apply for help - https://www.ausbanking.org.au/campaigns/financial-hardship/
Browse our help topic
- Internet Banking
- Affordable banking
- Closing your accounts
- Deceased estate
- Digital Acceptance
- Disputing a card transaction
- Financial abuse support
- Vulnerable customer support
- Financial difficulty assistance
- Hardship and disaster assistance
- Health and wellbeing
- Our network
- Regular payments
- Switch to Rural Bank