Rural Bank Insights Update - February 2020
The February update provides an analysis of production and pricing trends for Australian dairy producers. It provides producers with a timely overview of current trends and an outlook for the coming months. The highlights include:
- Uncertainty regarding the impact of Coronavirus on the Chinese economy is driving some volatility in global dairy markets.
- Global dairy supply is forecast to increase, as increases in the United States, European Union and New Zealand offset reductions to Australian milk production.
Rural Bank Insights Update - January 2020
The January update provides an analysis of production and pricing trends for Australian dairy producers. It provides producers with a timely overview of current trends and an outlook for the coming months. The highlights include:
- Fresh milk supply in Victoria and New South Wales is expected to fall further than initially expected as a result of bushfires.
- Global dairy prices have eased on the back of increased supply however demand remains strong in 2020.
Rural Bank Insights Update - November 2019
The November update provides an analysis of production and pricing trends for Australian dairy producers. It provides producers with a timely overview of current trends and an outlook for the coming months. The highlights include:
- Political and economic uncertainty, combined with global weather conditions is seeing global production growth fall short of expectations and has provided some unexpected support to local and offshore dairy values, however the outlook is again flat.
- Australian milk supply remains under pressure, and year to date falls in milk production have outpaced initial estimates.
Australian Dairy Annual Review 2018
This year's Australian Dairy Annual Review has been released and forecasts apositive outlook for growth and profitability in the sector, albeit advising this may be tempered by forecasted limited rainfall.
Australian milk supply rose in 2017/18, however supply didn’t keep up with demand. If the increasing demand for Australian dairy products is met it could equal improvements in farm gate milk prices with a forecasted average milk price of $6.10/kg MS in 2018/19.
The Review advises, global dairy prices should continue to improve with international exports of milk powder continuing to drive value in China and emerging markets Thailand and Japan.
Australian Dairy Update November 2017
The latest Ag Answers Australian Dairy Update has been released, showing that despite softening global dairy prices, the volume of Australian milk powder exports have increased 16.5 per cent year-on-year - for the July to August period - due to increased demand from Malaysia and China.
Rural Bank’s Ag Answers team is now forecasting a 43 per cent increase year-on-year in the volume of Australian milk powder imported by China for the calendar year of 2017.
Australian Dairy Annual Review 2017
Ag Answers has released the 2016/17 Australian Dairy Annual Review. There are signs of recovery for the dairy industry, but we are not out of the woods yet. Informed decision making is key to navigating dairy industry volatility and turbulence. With information provided by AgAnswers farmers will be better placed to make evidence-based decisions for their business into the medium and long term.
The Bank’s message follows the launch of its Australian Dairy Annual Review, which showed some signs of recovery for the sector. Launched by specialist insights team Ag Answers – the report includes data and outlooks on production in Australia and globally, seasonal conditions, prices, demand and the financial performance of Australian farms.
The 2017 Australian Dairy Annual Review producers and industry with a concise analysis of the Australian dairy sector.
Want more information?
Rural Bank recognises the importance of relevant information to enable sound business decision-making. To view our other reports please visit our Insights page. You can also receive reports direct to your email by subscribing to Rural Bank Insights.