Summary of key issues:
- Over the past week rain was recorded across most of the southern mainland coast, the north western half of Tasmania, inland New South Wales, much of Victoria and parts of Queensland’s east coast.
- Grain growers in parts of the Western Australian wheatbelt have welcomed the first significant rainfall event since early May 2013.
- The Global Dairy Trade (GDT) weighted average price of whole milk powder increased to US$5058 a tonne on 16 July 2013 compared with US$4757 a tonne on 2 July 2013.
- The world wheat indicator price (US No. 2 hard red winter, free on board Gulf ports) averaged US$313 a tonne in the week ending 16 July 2013, compared with US$305 in the previous week.
- The world coarse grains indicator price (US no. 2 yellow corn, free on board Gulf ports) averaged US$292 a tonne for the week ending 17 July 2013, compared with US$298 a tonne in the previous week.
- The wholesale prices of selected vegetables were generally lower in the week ending 13 July 2013, compared with the previous week. The prices of beans (round stringless), broccoli, cauliflower and tomatoes (field gourmet) fell while the price iceberg lettuce rose.